Knowledge Center
Navigation
Knowledge Center ➜ Entities

UMC (United Microelectronics Corporation)

General-purpose semiconductor foundry
popularity

Description

UMC, founded in 1980, was Taiwan’s first semiconductor company.

The company was the first to offer foundry services, and the first chip company on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (1985).

UMC offers 28nm High-K/Metal Gate technology, 14nm FinFET mass production, ultra-low power platform processes specifically developed for Internet of Things (IoT) applications, and the automotive industry’s AEC-Q100 Grade-0 manufacturing capabilities for the production of ICs found in vehicles.

The company has more than 19,000 employees worldwide and 12 wafer fabs, which can produce more than 750,000 8-inch equivalent wafers per month. It has offices in Taiwan, China, Europe, Japan, Korea and the United States.

Acquisitions

October 2019: UMC acquired Mie Fujitsu Semiconductor Limited (MIFS), the former 300mm wafer foundry joint venture between UMC and Fujitsu Semiconductor Limited (FSL). In 2014, FSL and UMC agreed for UMC to acquire a 15.9% stake in MIFS from FSL through progressive phases. In September 2019, FSL was cleared to transfer the remaining 84.1% of its shares in MIFS to UMC, with a final transaction value to acquire the remaining shares totaling ¥ JPN 54.4 billion. MIFS was renamed United Semiconductor Japan Co. (USJC).

2009: Acquired remaining shares (85%) of He Jian Technology Co. Ltd., an 8″ fab in Suzhou, China, for $285 million.

2004: Merged with SiS Microelectronics Corp. (SMC), a foundry with one 8″ wafer fab, in a deal valued at NT$10.7 billion.

2004: Acquired the remaining shares of UMCi, its subsidiary company with one 300mm fab in Singapore. UMC owned 95.23% of UMCi at the time.

  • HQ: Hsinchu Science Park, Hsinchu, Taiwan
  • Known for: Semiconductor manufacturing
  • Web: URL
  • Other names: United Microelectronics Corp.
  • Type: Company

FOUNDING:


SUBSIDIARY: